2017 Saint-Emilion Jazz Festival: The 6th Grand Cru Program!
The 2017 Saint-Emilion Jazz Festival will be held from 21st to 23rd July in the medieval city.
Hugh Coltman, Stagey Kent, the Trio Ponty Lagrène Eastwood, Richard Bona, Yaron Herman, Baptiste Trotignon and a tribute to Frank Zappa will make Saint-Emilion THE place to be for Jazz aficionados. Enjoy international headline acts in the privacy of the Douves du Palais Cardinal, free concerts at Parc Guadet, unusual concerts and, above all, revel in the Saint-Emilion wines at the ephemeral bar!
Jazz concerts in the Douves du Palais Cardinal in Saint-Emilion
"If music still has the power to bring a little humanity into the hearts of men, we can continue to hope", Dominique Renard, founder and president of the Saint-Emilion Jazz Festival, said in 2016. In 2017, the program will delight the hearts of the 12,000 festival-goers! In total, some 80 musicians will play for you from 21st to 23rd July.
For this 6th edition, the Douves du Palais Cardinal stage will illuminate during the six concerts.
- The charming singer Hugh Coltman will be the first to perform on the Douves stage on Friday 21st July at 8 pm. At 9:30 pm, some 1,000 lucky ones will be able to attend Stacey Kent’s performance of, the American singer will present her latest album Tenderly.
- On Saturday 22nd July, singer and musician Cyrille Aimée (8 pm) will open the evening with her sensual jazz, before leaving the stage to the three jazz giants who make up the Trio Ponty - Lagrene - Eastwood (9:30 pm)! With such performers behind the violin, guitar and double bass, do not forget to reserve your place!
- On Sunday 23rd July, Malted Milk & Amalya Delepierre (8 pm) will unfold their most electrifying rhythm & blues! They will be followed by Richard Bona & Mandekan Cubano (9:30 pm). The brilliant Cameroonian bassist will mix his voice with the Cuban rhythms, in a concert that promises to be memorable already.
Saint-Emilion wines and free concerts at Parc Guadet
And to follow these musical encounters, what better than a glass of Saint-Emilion wines ? To taste the wines of the Saint-Emilion appellations, Saint-Emilion Grand Cru, Lussac Saint-Emilion and Puisseguin Saint-Emilion, only one place: the ephemeral Wine Bar of the Festival. Set in the heart of Parc Guadet, opposite the free stage, the wine bar will offer you more than 20 wines per day. The winemakers will be behind the bar to guide you through the diversity of the Saint-Emilion wines. The wines will be sold by the glass and at a small price (from 3 to 5 €) or the bottle at the price of the estate.
While enjoying a drink in the shade of the trees, a colorful program will kick-off on the free stage of Parc Gaudet.
- Friday 21st July at 6:00 pm, Karmarama will take you to its eclectic universe of Indian pop, folk, electro and jazz. They will be followed by Rix, (11 pm) who will come to present his first solo album Nooba. a personal music influenced by American funk-soul and pop music.
- On Saturday 22nd July at 1 pm, the 19 members of the big band Asso Sax Big Band, will deliver a selection of funk, groove, salsa and jazz numbers. The afternoon will continue with the sound of On Lee Way (4:30 pm), a Nouvelle-Aquitaine quintet that plan to make the Gaudet Park stage groove. Post Image (6 pm) will celebrate its 30th anniversary and will precede the Roger Biwandu All Star Band (11 pm). All these groups will give you enough to wiggle for hours!
- Sunday 23rd July, Monk (1 pm), Tiana Razafy (3 pm), Capucine (5 pm) And The Headbangers (6:30 pm) will raise the atmosphere on this last festival day. The conclusion of the 2017 Saint-Emilion Jazz Festival at the Parc Guadet will be by the Zappy Birthday Mister Frank. Seven musicians will gather around Manu Eveno (guitarist and singer of the band Tryo) for a tribute to the genius of Frank Zappa.
At Parc Guadet, you can also enjoy the gourmet market from Friday evening. Local producers and food trucks will delight your taste buds with their local produce. To enjoy with a glass of Saint-Emilion wines!
In addition, families can discover the Saint-Emilion Jazz Festival in a different manner through fun things to do. Blind test, treasure hunt in the city, crossbow shots, street music, exhibitions ... the list goes on!
Do not hesitate to disguise yourself with a mustache, a hat and a bow tie and pose in the 2017 Saint-Emilion Jazz Festival photobooth. You may win a crate of the cuvée du Festival!
Connected piano and Musical Tasting: other highlights of the festival
Those who are used to listening to concerts in the Salles de Dominicans will not be disappointed to discover the connected piano of Steinway. The piano Spirio will only play songs performed by the greatest musicians of our time. The notes will resonate with all the sensitivity of the artist, which will give the impression that the concert is played in front of you! From Friday evening (6 pm), Baptiste Trotignon will perform songs in “duet” with the piano, during an Atypical Recital. Other demonstrations of the piano alone are scheduled on Saturday and Sunday evenings.
One of the most anticipated events of the 2017 Saint-Emilion Jazz Festival is the Musical Tasting at the Château Angélus. On Saturday 22nd July at 3 pm, settle in the château’s cellar, savor great vintages and take time to listen to Yaron Herman. The pianist will improvise a music to transcribe the sensations felt during each wine tasted. An exceptional moment!
Concert tickets are available online at the 2017 Saint-Emilion Jazz Festival box office.
It should be noted that La Salle Gothique will be used for the exhibition of a collection of guitars by Éric Le Collen. You can find Éric Le Collen in concert Saturday and Sunday Evening at 6 pm.
2017 Saint Emilion Jazz Festival
From Friday 21st to Sunday 23rd July 2017
Paid concerts in the Douves du Palais Cardinal: between 35 € and 42 €
Musical tasting: 75 €
Glass of wine at the ephemeral Bar: between 3 € and 5 €
Festival Pass: between 100 € and 160 €
Atypical recital with Baptiste Trotignon: 15 €